Completion Date: 08/01/2018
Time: 62 hours including printing
I’m forgoing my usual concept/sculpt/paint summary sections because I tried something new on this one that involved all of the steps happening at once.
I wanted to sculpt, 3d print, and paint a bust from start to finish, all without using outside resources. Essentially as a proof of concept that I could produce a bust end-to-end. I had gotten close a year earlier with Ecocide, which I sculpted and painted, but the 3D printing was done by Shapeways. However, I purchased a 3D printer (Anycubic Photon) earlier this year, and felt that I had all the pieces I needed to produce a bust in-house.
In order to keep the process itself as simple as possible, I used a pre-exisitng IP for the concept art, Jaina Proudmoore from WoW, referencing several depictions of her, most notably this one:
I decided to cast Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell from Game of Thrones) as Jaina. I hard-surface modeled the shoulderpads in C4D, and then started on the bust itself in Mudbox. When I felt I was getting somewhere, I printed it out and did a quick one hour sketch paint to see where I was:
…resulting in the ugliest thing that’s ever happened. I spent a lot more time on all aspects, reconfiguring as best I could despite my limited capabilities:
I was simultaneously learning how to effectively use my 3D printer as I was attempting to not suck at sculpting, and it took nine prints to finally get one that was artifact free and paintable. I didn’t document the painting process itself too extensively, as most of the time and effort was spent on the production of the model.
Good: I successfully took it from concept to sculpt to 3D print to finished painted miniature.
Bad: Both bad and ugly, see below.
Ugly: It’s very ugly. And boring (Ecocide was ugly, but at least it was interesting).I need to improve my sculpting skills. I find this piece embarrassing.